Skip to content

Uninsured & Underinsured Motorist


Learn More

Uninsured & underinsured motorist are types of auto insurance coverage that protect you and your passengers in the event of an accident involving another driver who either has no insurance (uninsured) or doesn't have enough insurance coverage to compensate for your damages (underinsured). These coverages are designed to help you financially when you're involved in an accident with someone who can't adequately cover the costs of your medical bills and vehicle repairs.


In the unfortunate event that you are involved in an accident with another driver who either does not have auto insurance or is underinsured, OpenRoad has you covered. These protections can help you cover the gap created by the other driver's inadequate coverage.

Common Questions About Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist

Uninsured Motorist... Tell me more.

Uninsured motorist coverage safeguards you in case you're in an accident with a driver who has no auto insurance. It helps cover your medical bills, lost wages, and property damage expenses when the at-fault driver lacks insurance.

Underinsured Motorist... Tell me more.

Underinsured motorist coverage steps in when the other driver has insurance, but their coverage isn't enough to fully compensate you for your losses. It ensures you receive adequate compensation for your damages in such situations, up to your policy's limit.

Are there limits to this coverage?

Both underinsured and uninsured motorist coverages are typically optional additions to your auto insurance policy, and the specific rules and requirements can vary by state and insurance company. It's important to consider these coverages to protect yourself if you're involved in an accident with an underinsured or uninsured driver, as relying solely on the other driver's insurance may leave you financially vulnerable. Be sure to check your policy terms and limits and consult with your insurance provider to understand how these coverages work in your specific situation.